Monday, November 10, 2014

Who's Watching American Horror Story

Who's watching American Horror Story: Freakshow?


I've been following the American Horror Story (AHS) anthology series for about three years now. Basically after the acclaim Season 1 received, I found myself drawn to give the series a chance. I'm glad I did.

If you haven't caught up, I recommend you do. It could be found streaming on most VOD sites. AHS: Murder House is hands-down some great storytelling and revives the ol' haunted house story with some twists. AHS: Asylum felt weaker to me, but others loved the concept. In my opinion, there was too much going on (serial killers, alien abductions, Nazis, angels, just to name a few), and I wished they trimmed the fat. AHS: Coven was a joy to watch for it focus on gender, diversity, and the ultimate merger of the two: witches. Though the focus on characterization and story telling were sharper that season, I had wished for more magicktry and exploration of the horrors females and people of color face. There is nothing more horrifying than being/feeling different and ostracized. Add to that you're a witch and possibly the greatest witch of them all.

This season is back to form with a great cast of characters and a host of spooky scenes that'll have you cover your eyes. We are six episodes in. I apologize for not reviewing it sooner. I could review each episode, but that is rather tedious. I will give you some highlights, themes, and things to look forward too as you take the plunge into this circus.

1) Freaks: So many to pick from. Bring on the freaks. All the lobster-clawed, chicken-eating hermaphrodites you can handle. Such a kaleidoscope of perfect characters that represent the unwanted and untouchables and their desire to be treated like humans. But freaks come in all shapes and sizes. Some of them can blend in like you or I. If we're all freaks, what makes anyone special?

2) Elsa Mars (Jessica Lange) is a heart-breaking character limited by her prosthesis, her vocal talent (lack there of) and her desire to be famous. How far is she willing to go for that desire? How far did she go to achieve that?

3) Twisty the Clown: Not since Pennywise the Clown (It) has a clown been fascinating to watch. The scenes where he is glaring at your murderously but his toothy mask is forever smiling at you won't leave your mind. In the latest episode, "Edward Mordrake (Part 2)" we saw Twisty exit. I'm sure he'll be back however.

4) Gloria Mott and Dandy, the refrigerator mother and over indulged son are quite a pair to watch on tv. I failed to mention before that AHS recycles its actors by giving them new characters in different settings/eras. Next to show headliner Jessica Lange in the category of most chameleon actress is Frances Conroy. She eats up scenes like it's breakfast, and her dynamic with her son is fascinating. The greatest mystery of them all is how Gloria will keep her son's serial killer rage in check and what lengths will she go to help him.

These are just a few themes that stuck out to me and some plots that are worthy of following.

Catch up on the series on FX Wednesday at 10p. EST.

No comments:

Post a Comment