Friday, November 28, 2014

Dream House



Very rarely do I find a hidden gem on my Netflix cue that moves me enough to write a review. Dream House is such a film. Written by David Loucka and directed by Jim Sheridan  (Brothers - 2009) it's a film that likes to think of itself as a psychological thriller, but it has these sleeper elements of the supernatural that had me on the edge of my bed. With a strong cast of Daniel Craig, Rachel Weisz, and Naomi Watts, we're introduced to a family moving into what appears to be their dream home. However, all things aren't as they appear. Shadows lurk outside, echoed whispers haunt Mr. Will Atenton (Craig), and there are bullet holes on the walls. Everyone seems to know about the home's past and is unwilling to help. Who's crazy? The family or the neighborhood?

Follow and question everything you see in this film. It is a twist on the haunted house story and I fell for it. If you are looking for something scary to watch, this has a few moments. In this day and age where everything is redundant or comes off as a film trope, I definitely jumped out of my skin a couple times. This is more of a cerebral film and combines moments of Shining's 'redrum' and Kidman's 'Others' or Willis' 'Sixth Sense' to some success. Once the truth is revealed (kudos to the make up artists) the movie shifts gears and things flow in the way they should, albeit a tad cliche, but the ride was enjoyable to be on. I felt deeply for the main characters. Craig, whose previous roles has been this hyper macho character, has never appeared so vulnerable to me than he did in this film as Will Atenton.

I don't recall Dream House in theatres. It should've made more waves than it did if it had been. Regardless, it's streaming on Netflix right now and it gets my stamp of approval.

No comments:

Post a Comment